Presently: Chairman & Managing Director, Energy Infratech Pvt. Limited, an Engineering & Project Development Consulting Company; Chairman, Advisory Board of Indian Energy Exchange; Chairman, Adani Power Advisory Board; Member, Central Advisory Committee of Central Electricity Regulatory Commission; Energy Advisor, South Asia Regional Projects, World Bank. President, India Energy Forum and Independent Think Tank (since August, 2020), Distinguished Fellow and Chairman, South Asia Group on Energy (since September, 2020).
Secretary to the Government of India, Ministry of Power (April 2002 - Jan 2007), top most position at official level in the Power Ministry. Besides being responsible for the entire Indian Power Sector (1,68,000 MW capacity including captive plants), as Secretary, he was directly responsible for the Central Public Sector Undertakings viz. National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC), Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd, National Hydroelectric Power Corporation, Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam Ltd, Tehri Hydro Development Corporation, Power Finance Corporation, Rural Electrification Corporation, Bhakra Beas Management Board and Damodar Valley Corporation. He was also President of the Governing Council of Central Power Research Institute (Govt. of India), Chairman of the Executive Committee of Bureau of Energy Efficiency and Chairman of the Governing Council of National Power Training Institute (Govt. of India), having 5 large Training Institutes in various parts of the country.
- During the five year tenure as Secretary to the Government of India, Ministry of Power, the Indian electricity sector witnessed a major restructuring of the power industry through formulation and implementation of several legislative and policy initiatives aimed at creation of a competitive market structure. These include Electricity Act (2003), National Electricity Policy (2005), Electricity Tariff Policy (2006) and Accelerated Power Development Reform Programme (2002) aimed at Distribution Reform. Setting and Operationalising of Bureau of Energy Efficiency under Energy Conservation Act (2001), Rural Electrification Policy (2005), Ultra Mega Power Project Policy (2006), Merchant Power Plant Policy (2006). 50,000 MW Hydroelectric Initiative (2003), 100,000 MW Thermal Project Initiative (2004).
- Academic qualifications: Graduation (Mechanical Engineering), Post Graduation (Industrial Engineering), Post Graduation Dip Business Management-MBA, and Diploma in Advanced Industrial Management (Delft, Holland). Fellow of the World Academy of Productivity Sciences, Fellow of Institution of Engineers (India), Fellow of International Institute of Electrical Engineers, Fellow of the Indian National Academy of Engineering.
- Energy Advisor, South Asia, World Bank, (2009 onward) advising various South Asian Governments on Power Policy and Regulatory issues, project development, Cross-Border Transmission and development of Regional Power Market.
- Advising Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission on Distribution Sector Reform (2011).
- Chairman and Managing Director of BSES Ltd. (1994 – 2002). During this period the company was transformed from a small distribution utility to a multi–unit fully integrated power utility having generation, transmission and distribution. Was directly involved in Privatisation and Acquisition of Distribution Companies in the States of Orissa and Delhi.
- Director (Operations), National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) holding various positions between 1978 and 1994. These included General Manager in charge of Dadri Power Project; Executive Director in charge of Southern Region of NTPC; and finally Member on the Board of Directors of NTPC In-charge of Operations, R&D and Commercial functions.
- Hindustan Steel Ltd / Steel Authority of India (1967-78) in Industrial Engineering – final post – Joint Chief (Industrial Engineering).
Chairman or Member on Boards of Directors of various companies also in the Audit Committees of the Boards, during different periods (1991 – 2002). Member on the Board of NTPC; Member on the Board and Audit Committee of Power Grid Corporation. Chairman of World Energy Council – Indian Member Committee (WEC-IMC) during April, 2002 to January, 2007. Member (2003 – 2006) on the Policy Group of Carbon Sequestration Leadership Forum (CSLF) a US led global initiative; Member (2005 – 2006) on the Govt. Steering Committee for the US led global initiative on Zero Emission Future Generation Project. Has been closely associated with industry bodies such as Confederation of Indian Industries (CII), Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce & Industries (FICCI), Associated Chamber of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM) as Member and Chairman of various Committees. Was also a member on more than sixteen Committees and Organizations covering diverse topics related to Energy, Environment, Human Resource Development and Education. Chairman (2006) of the Government constituted Working Group on Power for Eleventh Five Year Plan (2007-12). On the Board of Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubaneshwar (2000-2006). On the Board of Governors of Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Lucknow,(2000- 07),On the Board of Management Development Institute(MDI) Gurgaon (1997-2010). Chairman, IDFC Energy Advisory Board (2007-2013), Member Convenor, Power Advisory Group, Government of India, Ministry of Power (2014-15). Chairman, Task Force, Power Sector, Rajasthan Government (2015-18), Chairman, Railway Energy Management Advisory Board (REMCL) (2016-18).
- Awards: Recipient of Diamond Jubilee Award of CBIP (1993), India International Gold Award-1994 of the NRI Institute and Udyog Ratan Award-1994 of the Institute of Economic Studies, Top Professional Manager Award of the Institute of Marketing & Management (IMM), 1997 – Indira Gandhi National Award, 2000, Special Award conferred by Lion’s Club International and 2000 “Excellence in Corporate Governance Award” conferred by Rotary International District 3050-Ahmedabad; Power-Telecom Convergence Award 2000 by IPPAI; “BEST POWER MAN of the Millennium Year 2000” Award by National Foundation of Indian Engineers; Distinguished Fellow Award 2002 conferred by the Institute of Directors. Eminent Engineer Award by Institution of Engineers, International Executive Award by USEA; Powerline Expert Choice”Award’06 for Biggest Individual Contribution to the Power Sector” on the basis of a survey of power professionals.
- Publications: Contributed and presented many papers at various National and International Conferences. Edited a book entitled “100 Years of Thermal Power in India (2000)”. Has authored four books entitled “Indian Power Sector – Challenge and Response (2005)”. “Towards Powering India: Policy Initiatives and Implementation Strategy (about 500 pages) 2007. “Energy Security and Climate Change (over 700 pages)”, 2009. “Light at the End of the Tunnel? Way Forward for Power Sector” (570 Pages) 2013.